Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Start Making Things Happen on the Web NOW!

It has been about 9 months since diving into all things internet. Before that I was a typical aging entrepreneur. The Executive Director of one company I own bought my Blackberry and programmed everything for me. All I had to do was say, "Thank you!" A company we contract with sweeps in and remotely fixes any frustrations I have.

For me age and increasing success at a few business ventures was making me lazy and stupid. On one hand I spent some portion of each day trying to encourage people to "want to" and other portions were spent in my own denial of the need. Blindly I was diminishing my own value and that of my company. Complacant boss, complacant company. Not a good thing when you are responsible for and to so many.

Today I'm cranking out training and communication videos with three clicks. Voice over demos of how to use software or to share and explain something are seconds away.

Since starting this journey, I've heard many times, "What is that? Where did you get that? How much did that cost? Is it easy to use?" Thus the purpose of this post. For well under $100 you can do a lot! If you've been looking for someone to give you some advice and make it easy, here you go.

I'm going to assume you have a reasonably stable computer that is somewhat recent in make. Maybe 4 years old or newer. With that here are my suggestions.

First a headphone set with a microphone. After scanning a number of postings, rankings, and other data I purchased a Logitech ClearChat Comfort USB Headset (Black) for a little over $30. Excellent buy. I've used it for a while now and have no reason to use anything different for general use. I'm enjoying John Mayer as I type on the very same headphones.

Next, webcam. Using the same process as above I purchased a Hercules web cam for $34.95 on Amazon. Not being happy with it I was chatting online with a client. They had purchased the same headset at my suggestion but on a hunch bought a better web cam. This client is recently out of retirement at the ripe old age of 40. He bought a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 (Black) for $84.40. I witched. I'm happy.

Frankly, that is all I've been using. My wife and I just ordered a professional microphone to do some pod casting and more professional recording that we have planned.

Almost everything you might want to do can be done with these simple additions. They simply plug into a USB port and off you go. As with many things you can upgrade yourself to poverty. This is working for me very well.

I hope this has been helpful. If you have other questions you are welcome to comment here and I'll try to do what I can to help and maybe others will also.

No comments:

Post a Comment